Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - POACHING PROBLEMS
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 AM

It is so very important to be careful when dealing with these people. Even the small time poachers have this feeling they have every right to do what they want and no one is going to stop them.

Back in the early 80's my neighbor turned out to be the most famous American big time poacher. His name was Ellison and his daddy was a state congeressman in Montana. Daddy had a perfect 100% anti environment record in the state house and his son must have certainly been encouraged by that. He was a wilderness terrorist who shot hundreds of Bull elk in velvet, shot bears for the gall bladder and had at least 4 or 5 hoods working for him. He also ran big game hunts out of season and that is how he finally got caught. He ended up taking out under cover FBI agents on a couple of hunts. It took over 100 FBI and Park sevice rangers to make the arrest and they expected a fight to the death but luck would have it Ellison got so drunk with the under cover agent that he passed out on the night of the bust and they just hand cuffed him to his bed in an old mountain cabin till the troops arrived. I think he got 30 years without bail and is still in jail. The story made headlines throughout N. America.

My personal run in with him still to this day sends shivers down my spine. Someone had been shooting deer on our ranch by the county road and just leaving them there in the hay fields. No one could figure out why someone would do this, no one, game wardens or the sherif, all were at a loss. One evening i was coming home from town and there was a pick up truck by the side of the road with it's hood up. I stopped to lend a hand and when I got out I noticed it was Ellison working under his hood. At this point we were suspicious of this guy but had no proof but all the neighbors knew to keep their distance. It was too late for me so I asked him if I could help. He said no and to get my ass out of there. I noticed he had a sawed off shot gun sitting on his engine and like an idiot i asked him what was up with the shot gun. He just said he didn't like snakes and to move on. I sure as hell did and when I got home called the game warden because I knew something was up. Nothing came about of the incedent till months later after he got arrested. As it turned out he was shooting deer close by the road side then acting like he was broke down in his truck. Eventually Golden Eagles would land on the carcus and he would shoot them then sell the feathors and stuff. He confessed to many poaching crimes and boasted to many other crimes including telling the story of all most blasting me away that evening for being so damn nosey.