Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - ASMFC
Thread: ASMFC
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2000, 12:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:ASMFC

Bruce -

Thanks for your post. Do you have a URL that points to detailed descriptions of Amendment #6?

I have a number of questions before I can understand a number of these issues, for instance what is EEZ? Is commercial discard the return of dead species or undersize live species or both? I hope reading the specific descriptions will answer these questions for me.

I believe Pete MacNeil is involved with a predator / prey study but based on salmon predation by species like striped bass. I assume this would be focused on bluefish and perhaps tuna predation on stripers?

C&R mortality is a discussion many of us have had often. IMHO it boils down to the practices of the angler, not the technique. Obviously there are bait fishermen who do less damage than some fly fishermen, and vice-versa. A corner of the jaw circle hook does less damage than a clouser impaled in the roof of a schoolies mouth, but then you get all those guys throwing small chunk baits from jetties and gut-hooking schoolies all day long. Not to sound too proud, but I wish everyone fished like you and I do!

Should we set up a form letter to send once we have our thoughts together?

Juro