Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Four tips for Spey casting long belly lines
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
The only reason I mentioned the lower hand push was you had left it out of your initial post.
Actually #2 discusses bottom hand push, but in the context of controlling it which implies it's presence (in excess).

I think you will find that students tend to over-push the butt and "trunk" their bottom hand but they seldom forget to use the bottom hand when both hands are on the rod, hence the mnemonic of hand vs. elbow position to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
I don't use the snake roll with the long-belly lines because I find it takes too much effort to aerialize the line on the initial forward roll of the line, which is especially noticealbe when using a sink tip.
Again, worth comparing notes as I find the snake roll to be of great use in downriver anchor casting situations with even the longest belly lines I own. When fishing sinktips it may be necessary to strip in a little more line, slow down and increase the size of the snake to get the sunk line moving and flowing into the helix (preferences not withstanding).
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum