Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Just wondering
Thread: Just wondering
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For several years I have been tying extended body squid using plastic tubes to get proportions correct on big squid. The hook has been in the first 1.5 inches on a fly up to 8-9 inches long. With striper I have not had misses that I attribute to the hook position but with large blues like the oregon beach slammers in the May squid run I have had the fly shredded without a solid hookup.

I solved that by using a different fly, one that took less effort to tie and less painful to get shredded. Those blues really did not care how realistic the squid fly was and hit a large slider with abandon once the evening push to shore was on. The best plug being used by the plug guys next to me was a ranger, anything that shimmied like a fleeing squid would get inhaled.

With the Atlantis the side of the poppers and sliders I can throw has increased dramatically so I plan to revisit the early squid run this year in select spots between Woods Hole and Hyannis where the May action is epic with the big stick. The 9ft 9wt was not a very effective tool against these 15-17 pound beer keg blues anyway.

If I do use a realistic squid in this fishery it will be built for durability. Not far away the primary predators of these squid are big spring bass but most of these spots are best covered by boat. The commercial rod and reel fleet is all over this action for big spring bass, and they also tend to use rangers thrown into the squid judging from those I spoke to at the boat landings west of Lewis Bay where they put in.

Frankly I don't see a lot of big squid after May in Chatham, but I do see juveniles squirting around the channels on Monomoy and where the finicky flats bass are hard to coerce they suddenly begin busting with abandon when these little guys come through.

Short answer: bass no, blues yes
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum