Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Ammendment 6 Issue # 2
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2000, 02:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Ammendment 6 Issue # 2

Bruce and Ron - you make good points. If someone gets into a keeper at first light, they are not currently prohibited from continuing fishing like in other states (salmon out west, etc). The argument that it may take more 'shorts' to get to the fish may be true, but would apply as you say Bruce only if they acually stopped fishing once they caught it. Most people just go fish for the duration they hoped to fish. C&R mortality in my opinion is a minor factor for those who are careful about their practices, but those who use three sets of barbed trebles and drag the schoolies onto barnacle covered jetties to wrestle the hooks from the face of the poor juvenile bass are having a big impact.

I may be way out of line here but as catchable as stripers are, I would even support more tightly constrained angling practices like bait w/ regulated circle hooks only, and single hook only for plugs, etc.

I fish all my flies barbless and don't have any problem having a great time each and every season. When we release fish alongside while wading thigh-deep, minimizing the amount we touch the fish, and by inverting a barbless fly - the fish shoots off into the depths like a rocket. After several minutes of someone digging out a sea worm hook from a fish's gullet on a high jetty top, he doesn't stand a chance.

There's a lot we can do to improve survivability and lowering the limit size isn't one of them.

Juro