Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - DT Beginnings
Thread: DT Beginnings
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 09:32 AM

DT Beginnings

Supposed to hit the Credit today and catch some fish but it's icing over with the cold and I've come down with one. Didn't figure it would be too smart to go get cold with a cold.

Ended up just tossing some switch casts in the backyard with the SA DT-10-F Ultra4 Salmon on the Loop 8124 using about 50' of line past the tiptop. Even just switch casting on snow, the differences between a DT and a WC are obvious, with the DT feeling very smooth and loading the 8124 quite nicely. Some short overhead casts felt quite nice too and the "two over" estimate for 40' - 60' fishing distances seems about right.

I have two reels with DTs inbound via ebay but they're not here yet. I'm anxious to get the DT-10-I on the water to see how it handles vs. a sinktip, hopefully in sub-freezing conditions.

I plan to keep adding to this thread as I collect experience with DTs (and welcome other input as well) with the idea that by next winter we'll have enough info to identify what has a good shot at working and what doesn't. Hopefully we'll end up with a winter fishing rig tuned to the GLs and not just a copy of the PNW stuff.

So far the idea looks like this. A sinking DT offers the following:
  • stays under water so it doesn't ice up
  • does not have any loops to collect ice
  • doesn't need to be stripped in so guides don't ice up
  • constant diameter belly won't jam in iced over guides
  • thin diameter will keep running through badly iced guides
  • thin diameter cuts through the wind
  • gets down without excessive weight
  • should present the fly at a more consistent depth through the drift
  • should cast more smoothly than sinktip lines
  • works best where winter fish are most likely to be found in slower, deeper pools
  • DT salmon lines from the UK are often cheap, especially from ebay

The downsides look like:
  • may need to be rolled to the surface, especially if a lot of line is out
  • can't shoot far so more than 70' fishing distance is probably unrealistic with shorter rods
  • may need long, light rods to achieve clean lifts with long lines
  • may restrict angler to a few casts that lift well (Circle, Double)
  • need to change spools when changing sink rate
  • needs multiple spools, offsetting the cheapness of the lines
  • DT salmon lines are not easily found on this side of the pond
  • not ideal for presenting flies along narrow slots or runs

Should emphasize that I see the use of DT full sinkers as a close-in method where most casts are 60' or less. To lift and cast longer lines would take 15' and 16' rods and I don't think too many people want to go there.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 02-26-2005 at 11:03 AM.