Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Double or Single, Snake Roll??
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nice situation to be in

The key to your decision is wind direction as Gary and Nick mentioned, and secondarily the strength of your various casts. For instance, given no wind use your strongest cast as this is a fair cast distance to get clear of the throat of the current and give the good swing thru. The far bank would be far easier to present to these fish.

Downstream wind choices in order of my preferences:

Left-hand up snake roll*
Right-hand up reverse (backhand) snake roll
Right-hand up reverse double spey
Left-hand up double spey

*where the left-up snake gets 99% of my time in this situation.

Upstream or no wind choices in order of personal pref:

Right-up single spey*
rightup upriver snake
rightup circle spey
snap-T
leftup reverse single
leftup reverse snap-T

*the quintessential spey cast

Of paramount importance are the conditions - for instance a boulder garden on the Sauk in March would solicit a different response, as would a far reach on the Skykomish in September. Specifically, going to a sinktip in a different pool would get more snap-t's (snap-C's actually) out of me because of the ease by which that cast lifts big flies and sinktips; also a lot more Skagit casts if I was in a typical cedar-lined bank with fishy water within 80ft of shore.

I'm ok with the relative position to the fish, although a more acute angle would prolong the hang down etc. But these are Gaspe' atlantics so by the tutelage of my friend Topher Browne my instincts tell me that this is an acceptable angle to keep the fly moving first in swing then in retreat from the edges of the power water. I would prefer the far bank over this spot but the picture might be a little deceiving as to how the current would hold the fly through the swing. It's not likely to stall with all the good tailout to the left of the fish and skating should be a breeze.

I would definitely riffle something over them a few times before resorting to a wet. I would opt for something that fishes well down current with the twin tufted calftail wings - mcdougal, waller waker, or a deerhair bodied version of the butterfly, etc. Or just a bomber.

Failing that and due to conditions and the surprising eyesight salmon have I would use a small dark fly with bright highlights like a picasse in a #8 or possibly a slightly sparse #6 to get ballast in the current.

Lastly before I left I would pass some of my west coast steelhead flies through the line just because

Good topic, Ann
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum