Fly Fishing Forum banner

Russia's Kola Peninsula

11K views 70 replies 12 participants last post by  marcusjanssen 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm fishing the Rynda River in Kola this August. I'm looking for any useful tips in terms of techniques, gear and especially fly patterns, hook sizes, singles, doubles, tubes etc? Can anyone help?

#2 · (Edited)
rynda

Hi Marcus

What dates are you fishing Rynda? I was there last year (Aug 2-9), and somehow managed to convince the lady to let me go again this year (week 34, Aug 20-27)!!

Flies used were anything from 1.5" thinly dressed ali tubes (black & yellow, willie gunn, silver stoat etc etc) - my guide loved them and i couldn't quite believe that fish would take these when the water temp was edging onto 20 degrees celcius (bit of a heatwave last year, in case you didn't know. praying it won't be happening again this year), through to size 12 & 14 wee doubles. People were also having huge success on skated bombers and hitched singles (size 6 or 8 is what I was using there), and of course sunray shadows - generally a few inches long.

One of the Norwegians in the party caught all of his 13 or so fish on tiny francis conehead tube.

To be honest, all the flies seemed to be equally successful, so I don't reckon its too important

At that time of year we were all fishing full floaters. What was amazing though was that we still managed 100 fish for the week between the 12 of us when the conditions were so bad with such warm water. On the days when the sun wasn't blazing we were coming in with about 25 fish, and on the sunny days usually 10 or so. We were all using 15' rods too - its not as small a river as i thought it would be. Maybe a smaller double hander or a 10' #8 could be a useful additon.

I'm sure you've read up all about it on the website, and I can say, even with last years conditions it really is an amazing place to be.

Cheers

Lawrence

#4 ·
rynda

well maybe i'll see you in murmansk!

another thing - take some heavily weighted nymphs suitable for upstream nymphing - my brother took 2 fish in 2 casts with this when the going got really tough. funny thing is after the first one he offered me the rod to have a go, but I turned him down as i wanted to fish some fresh water. so he pulls this one out. now there's much deserved success, and then there's taking the p*** . it was his biggest salmon to date, so you can't begrudge too much!!!

#5 ·
Rynda

Thanks. I intend to get tying this June, when I graduate from uni- I'll be sure to have some weighted nymphs in the box aswell. On that note, when you say weighted nymphs, any particular patterns, hook sizes?

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the trip.

Marcus

#6 ·
I fished the Rynda last year with Lawrence and I am going again this year, looking forward to going back as I had an excellent time even though the weather was against us. Every pool on the rynda has its own character and no 2 pools are the same and the guides encourage you to approach each pool in a different way. I used a wide range of flies from 3" copper tubes to bombers, willie gunns worked well as did small yellow ally's shrimps (size14). I hitched large singles, small doubles and plastic tubes as well as bombers and muddlers. If you have never fished a "dry" for salmon you are in for a real eye opener as it is a very exciting way to fish and no 2 fish take the same. I missed the first 2 takes as i was convinced they were trout as they were so delicate but as the second turned a saw a flash of silver and knew I had missed a good oppertunity although I never felt the fish. I mannaged 3 on bombers and a total of 9 for the week as well as loosing a few. There are also lots of good trout throughout the river and I will dedicate some time to them this year. In the space of an hour I had approx 30 trout between 1 and 3 lbs on a skated tube (1 every cast) but the powerful salmon rod took the fun out of it. You will have an excellent time and I may see you in the airport at Murmansk on your return trip, just remember to listen to your guide as they know exactly where the fish are and how to tempt them into a take.

Dave.

#7 ·
Rynda

Dave, thanks for the info- I'm keeping notes, and my brother (who I'll be fishinmg with on the rynda) and I will be tying flies furiously before we go. So, would you recommend taking a lighter rod for the trout? I've heard about the trout fishing on the Rynda, and even if it's just for an evening, I quite like the idea of having a go.
If you or Lawrence can think of any other valuable information that you'd like to share, then please do. Thanks.
Marcus

#8 ·
Marcus I would use a 6 weight rod for the trout and I would be good to spend an evening fishing for them if you get chance, don't use too light a leader as some of the fish are big and you have every chance of hooking a salmon. There are also some sea trout in the river but these don't tend to run too far up the river. Can you spey cast from both banks? it would be a plus if you can as there are a few pools which you can't overhead cast but there are plenty of pools where you can. It was great to use a floating line for 98% of the week and my casting improved greatly as I don't normally get chance to fish every day for a week. Get plent of sleep before you go as you will not get too much while you are out there especially if you like a drink at night. One last piece of advice don't drink all the beers as I will want a few on my arrival.

Dave.

#10 ·
Rynda 2005

Hi Lawrence and Dave,

Greetings from germany! I'll also travel to Kola again, this time my brother is joining me. Unfortunately we will be there in the 32nd week. I hope, that it won't be as hot as it was the last summer...

Marcus,

last year (early August) my flies were much to big. We had the best results on tiny Tubes, like the Conehead Frances( check at sportfish.uk) or the Black Pussy(Gena's Creation). Hook size 8/10/12/14!.

Can't wait to be there again!

bone(Sven)

#12 ·
Kola

Sven, Thanks for the tips. I just bought a supply of cones for tying conehead tubes, and because my home river is a relatively small highland river, I'm generally well stocked with hooks in sizes 8-14. Dave and Lawrence, we'll be sure to leave you some beers, but can't promise we'll be so generous with the fish!

Marcus

#16 ·
hi Sven,

Hope life is treating you well! Interesting to hear about Aruba....didn't know it had good bone flats. Now Los Roques....lucky you! Be sure to send my best to Walter :wink:

Theres a few of us off to fish middle blackhall on the Dee in march - very much looking forward to it. As per the dee post on here, things are looking good and there should be a fair flow of springers coming through by then.

Let us know how you get on in Los Roques, and send my best to Eger.

Cheers

Lawrence

#17 ·
Sven I am going upto the Dee in March for 4 days with Lawrence, Phillip,Rob M,Rob B and Rhodri who I met at Rynda last year. I will not be fishing on my own river (Ribble) until May as the spring run is very small and then most of my effort will be for the sea trout until July/August. I must have a go at bone fishing soon as it looks very exciting and you get to see your backing with every fish, I have forgoton what colour my backing is as the last time I saw it was when I put it on the reel. Maybee I will see it again on the Dee or Rynda. Hope you make it to Los Roques with Eger as it is a top destination. Tight Lines

Dave.

#19 ·
Hi Marcus,

i guess Peter or Ruth are going to contact you in the next weeks.

Hi Lawrence,

you are absolutely right. There are not many flats on aruba, but as it was my 9th vacation on the island, i know every inch of them...

Dave,

good luck on the Dee. If you ever plan to visit Los Roques mail me, i can give some contacts. Los Roques can be very cheap, if you know where to go...

Sven

#20 ·
Marcus to apply for your visa you need to pay for your holiday in full and you can only apply for your visa 12 weeks or so before your trip (Russian rules). Last year they took care of everything for me but this year is a little different as you have to sort out your own visa. There is section about this on their website under travell I think. Have you booked flights to Stockholm and back? I had real problems booking the cheep flights and throgh frustration I paid £40 extra to fly with BA which is not a bad thing. It cost me £170 return from Manchester via Heathrow and they are good flight times. Take plenty of Krona to Stockholm as its Approx £6 for a pint but the food is reasonably priced. I dont want to wish my life away but I wish it was August and I was there as its going to be a long 6 months before I get there.

Dave.

#21 ·
visa

Dave and Sven,

Thanks for the info about visas. I have booked my flight to Stockholm, and I think my brother and I were really lucky, we got very reasonably priced tickets through BA. All that's left for me to sort out is my visa, and then I'm all set! As you say, the following 6 months are going to be long. I've wanted to fish the Kola for a long time now, and since I heard that I'd got a place on the ASR programme, I've been battling to concentrate on anything that isn't fishing! Fortunately, our season opens on my home river soon, so at least that'll keep me occupied till August!

Sven, Dave and Lawrence, which UK rivers do you fish, and where about on the Dee do you fish? (I'm pretty sure one of you has mentioned the Dee?) We've been trying to get a week on Park for several years now, since my dad fished it as a guest a few years ago, and had some of the best salmon fishing he's ever had in the UK. Do any of you fish the Spey? And if so, on what beats. I do most of my fishing on the Spey, so know it relatively well.

Marcus

#22 ·
Marcus I do most of my fishing on the Ribble and Hodder and sometimes fish the Lune. I have fished the Spey a few times, mainly the Aviemore town water when I have been up on holiday and have fished at Grantown on the upper Castle Grant beat once. Have also fished Tay, Tummel, Deveron, Earn, Annon and Dee. I fished the Dee for the first time last year in Sept on the Woodend beat, its very nice water and is quite a long beat for 2 rods and is not too expensive. This March we are fishing the Middle Blackhall and Commonty beats for 4 days and again the price is ok. Check fishdee.co.uk for booking availability but I think Park is dead mans shoes. Going to Russia last year has opend my eyes and wallet to new rivers. I had not had the oppertunity or motivation to travel before but now like the idea of fishing new rivers, just got to do plenty of overtime to pay for it all.

#23 ·
marcus

i've fished quite a few of the scottish rivers, inc the upper spey for sea trout (superb), the tay, tweed (always have a few days on the upper tweed in november to close the season off) and beauly amongst others.

Your man for advise though, is 'willie gunn', who I believe is a gillie on Wester Elchies on the spey. anything he doesn't know about scottish salmon fishing probably isn't worth knowing, esp about rivers like the spey and deveron.

on the dee, i've fished middle blackhall & borrowston. middle blackhall i love, borrowston i don't - and that's not because the fishing isn't great there! plus its one of the most expensive beats on fishdee, and it doesn't warrant the price tag.

i also spend a good amount of time on the towy in wales, mainly for the sea trout, but managed a couple of salmon there last season as well.

#24 ·
I'm fishing Kharlovka starting 30th July..

Hi Guys, I'm also on the ASR youth programme this year, but on Kharlovka, starting 30th July- I'll let you know the latest flies and tactics after I get back, although I only have one day between getting back from Stockholm and leaving for a week at Carron/ Laggan on the Spey. Boy am I looking forward to August!

#26 ·
Hi Gents,

I'd also advise to take small doubles and plastic tubes to Rynda as well as bombers in brown and green colours. Make sure you have pleanty of backing just incase you hook one of the monsters i saw in Rynda falls.

Hope you are keeping well Sven, give my regards to your dad and Eger.

Dave and lawrence- Not long now until the Dee!!

All the best,

Rhodri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.