Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - South Cape Cold but Hot
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2000, 09:53 AM

RE:South Cape Cold but Hot

Juro,

Thanks so much for saving my day. I was looking squarely into the skunk's eyes when I met up with Juro and Tom. Juro had caught a couple but they were going to try yesterday's hot spot back in the estuary. A little while later I joined them on the small water lined by marsh on one side and very expensive homes on the other. They were catching a number of schoolies and I managed to beat the skunk with a couple myself.

As they were leaving Juro told me the tale of the tails. I was impressed and a little voice in my head was saying "Maybe this is the day you get a keeper on a fly!" To date I haven't managed a striper much biger than the popper or should I say Poper fish of the spring clave. Juro pointed out the best spot and then gave me the killer fly.

I continued catching schoolies on my creation out of some misguided sense of pride but eventually switched over to Juro's work of art. I was still catching schoolies but they were biger and occasionally able to take out some line and make the reel sing. Then it happened. A solid thunk and I set the hook the rod bent to the butt and line started flying through my fingers from the stripping basket. A silent prayer "Please God, don't let the line tangle." My prayer was answered and the fish was on the reel making it scream and smacking my thumb with the handle as I ineptly tryed to palm the reel. After a couple more runs the battle turned into a brutish tug of war and I was steadilly gaining ground. I eased it into the grass and shallow water and knelt to remove the hook perfectly centered in it's upper lip. I pulled the tape measure out and discovered I was one year late to say I had caught a keeper on a fly. It was just over 28 inches of beautiful fish bright, fat and tired from the fight. I walked it over to some deeper water to help it recover which it quickly did and I watched it glide gracefully back into the deep subtle current. A beautiful sight.

I didn't stay much longer. The schoolies after that were anticlimatic and I had some mall hopping to do for a Mother's day gift.

Thanks again Juro!

Gregg