Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Exuma
Thread: Exuma
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 PM

We've fished several times with guides in Exuma on the flats. Yes, there are the lemon sharks swimming amongst the casters. None ever bothered us. They DO try to eat the bonefish you've caught and are lifting with your flyrod in order to release them. If you're not careful, you could get bitten by them as you lift the bonefish out of the water so keep that in mind. If you poke the sharks with your rod, they will swim off. I've stayed at several lodges there and when speaking with the guests, none of them were hurt by the lemon sharks. One woman fisher was "bumped" by a shark but not hurt. The airport flats are loaded with bonefish as well as lemon sharks. Incoming tide will bring hundreds of bonefish to the mangrove flats. They are very spooky. But they are there.

Yes, from what I've been reading on the forums, the Exuma guides are getting 'testy" with the DIY flyfishers but that's to be understood as their living depends on guiding. But, it doesn't excuse rudeness to the DIY flyfishers just because they've found a way to fish on their own. After all, many waterside flats condos have been built, touting DIY bonefishing.....wouldn't we all love to just walk out from our condo to a bonefish flat? Believe me, the Exuma guides have plenty of flats to choose from while guiding clients on their flats boats. They don't need to fish the flats so near shore!