Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - 8 wt. search
Thread: 8 wt. search
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 AM

hi gtolb... you have a lot of options, all good. i own a bunch of sage and scott rods, but i also have the ti cr 5 wt., and the new ti cr-x 9 wt. i really like the tfo rods. (they 're really fast though--it depends on your stroke). not to mention, they're less than half the price of my other ones. i think they're just as good. also, i saw the new tfo reels, (not out yet... but soon), and they look great... and i spoke to the rep and they will be priced around $250., i think. it seemed like a really good deal. i own abel reels (the super series) and the drag is great. i think if you have the $$$, and you're fishing for saltwater fish that you need a reliable drag for, go with abel. (or tibor or pate or something like that... i have also checked out the old florida nautilus series, and they look amazing... though i don't know enough about the drag). you might also want to look for an 8 or 9 sage rplxi rod, they were discontinued last year and they're great. my usual 9 wt. set up is the ti cr-x (i have an rplx 9 wt. too) with the abel super 8, and it's really great... it's my workhorse rod... bonefish, snook, redfish, stripers, bluefish, albies... i would heartily recommend that set-up if you like the ti cr-x... probably $250 for the rod, maybe $600. for the reel. i think it's worth it.