Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - 2005 Season opens in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 AM

Location: River Ness, River Conon, River Dee, Kyle of Sutherland
Helmsdale opening day

Managed to make the opening day to the River Helmsdale yesterday.

The day before my local river (River Ness) was bursting its banks. However, with a phone call the the local fishing tackle shop in Helmsdale, I was assured that water conditions would be in good order. I found this hard to belive, in that only live an hours drive away.

Anyway, On arrival, I was proved wrong, with the water dropping at 2.5ft,clear and with very little wind. Almost perfect!

One of the local pipe bands, piped what appeared to be 50-70 anglers to the rivers edge, to start the new season. I felt this was a really good touch to the opening day cereremony.

Apart from a few kelts (well mended), things were quiet and there was no sign of that elusive January springer. However, It was good crack to meet up with a few freinds and wet a line after a long and wet winter!

As Malcolm said, its the upper Ness system opening day on Satuarday. Having phones the factor of the river today things don't look good. fingers crossed!

Gordon

p.s

The light wind in the morning on the Helmsdale, was like a child with a box of chocolates and didn't know when to stop. By the evening, winds of over 100mph were recorded. A possible opportunity for long distance dapping?

I will try and get some photos of the opening day!