Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Joppa FF Report
Thread: Joppa FF Report
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2000, 02:58 PM

RE:Joppa FF Report

Guys,

Gotta say that this morning was definitely worth the trip down from Amherst. We (Mitch and myself) left for PI at 2:30 - right on schedule and were fishing by 4:45. Things started off well, with each of us hooking up on our second casts. Things cooled a bit after that, but there were fish swirling about 10yds out of casting range. We met up with Sully and Mike S. - nice to see them both after about a year. I also had the pleasure of meeting Bob P. And Terry W. - very nice to put a face with a name, also very nice guys. Mitch and I headed down towards the jetty as there were some birds working close in. The birds moved out and we didn't get into any, but there was a guy in a dory that was hooking a few (StriperTom?). We went back to the original area and decided to fish closer to the old sandbar (Thanks for the tip guys . Mitch and I caught another 8 or 9 between us, most were small, but a couple of 24-25' fish in there.

We had a blast, and Mitch caught his first of the season. The surise was beautiful (got a couple of pictures), we were able to take a couple of fish shots and I got the hang of that new QD325 line - what a rocket. Today certainly get the juices flowing for more fishing. We decided to take off around 11am - good thing - as two tour buses of teenagers arrived to participate in a field trip, plus the wind was blowing and the rain was about to start. For anyone reading this, I was the one in the camo waders with a red ball cap on.

Hot flies were olive and white clousers and for me the chartreuse and white clouser as well - there was one guy really doing well and he seemed to let the fly sink and use a slow retrieve. He was hooking up pretty regularly for a while.

Juro - stopped in to show Mitch Blue Northern. The store looks great and there really is an excellent supply of materials and equipment - and to top it off everyone is very friendly and helpfull.

Pete