Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Joppa FF Report
Thread: Joppa FF Report
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2000, 11:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Joppa FF Report

Very Cool! Great to get them on your own stuff, eh? The 325 QD makes it easier by requiring less backcast and also bringing the fly down to the fish. My experience is that if they are active at slack tides you don't need to get down but when the current is turned on it's the only way to get 'em.

Let me know when you're going again, maybe we can hook up.

I accidentally posted this to the North River Spit thread (dOh)...

<font color="0000ff"><font size="1">I heard that PI is lit up at low tide, which in early AM over the next couple of days. There were a couple of 30-35" caught last night along PI up from the bar (reportedly a little slender but gorgeous just the same), and the schoolies are fat and feisty with some over 24" for every batch of 14-18". Bait is tiny sand eels with some 3-4" around. The terns are focused on the larger eels but hordes of small non-diving sea birds hover and dip into the masses of tiny eels coming over the bar on the flood.

Best bet is to work around the charter boats at the bottom of the tide, but there are pods to be found just upstream from the sand bar and also near the base of the south jetty. As one might suspect, sand eel patterns were reportedly producing. I was warned that the fish push upstream quickly at the turn of the tide so be there or be square.

Salisbury should be very good near the pick on the start of the outgoing too. Up river locations should be seeing lot of action through the top of the tide.</font><!--1--></font><!--color-->