Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - P.I. Report 5-18(was FF Joppa)
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2000, 09:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:P.I. Report 5-18(was FF Joppa)

5-21-00 : PI Again

Took my son up to throw flies at PI Sunday night. Talk about nano-fish! My son started razzing me about putting the last three fish together to make one schoolie! The guy next to us was getting a real charge out of his Rodney Dangerfield panache.

We took 20-25 schoolies between 6-8pm with most being teeeny weeeny little brats. Only a few got over 20", it was strange. As we were contemplating leaving, I hooked a heavy fish. He had already reeled up and I handed him the rod. The fish swam toward him and so he started with the comedy schtick again, suddenly the fish turned and ripped line out into the river. He choked under the pressure and hard-palmed the fish right off with a sharp recoil on the second hard surface boil. We called it a night on that note. It was nice to fly fish with the video-gaming, girl-crazy teen who shares my roof and last name.

BTW - We saw large black eels swimming along the edge tonight. We also noted a serious lack of good sized fish up and down the line. I'm wondering if the presence of black eels had the larger fish thinking about other forage? It was no problem to get chunky fish to hit the sand eel flies but not so tonight. With the exception of a few, the fish were real twinkies.

Time to start running bigger tinker mackerel and 2nd year herring patterns soon.