Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Monomoy Sunday report
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2000, 11:43 AM
Middle Aged Member

RE:Monomoy Sunday report

Got to the Rip Ryder launch point at about 6:45 AM. Met a pair of sleep deprived guys doing the "walk of the living dead", Brian Zinck and Eric Roach, who were there for the 6:00 AM shuttle. I advised them that uncertain weather had altered the plans for the early shuttle. We grabbed the 8:00 AM shuttle to North Monomony. While hanging on the causeway I decided to change lines and created a monster rats nest (don't ask). Anyhow, at the drop-off point I told Brian and Rick to go on and I'd probably catch up with them later and proceeded to unravel the mess I'd made. Just as I was finishing with my rigging another shuttle dropped off a lone flyguy. The guys name was/is Gary, very bouyant and obviously glad to be there. We chatted on our way to the west side and when I told him this was my first time out there he offered let me tag along. He advised that he liked to keep moving and was passionate about sight fishing. My incompetence with the line change led to a chance meeting and hookup with someone very knowlegeble with the place and how to fish it.

We waded out in a direction towards Hardings Beach, I guess. With the outgoing Gary advised that the fish would tend to be moving left to right. Not long after starting out fish were breaking in front of us, just out of casting range. I then saw a change in the look of the water (counter current movement?) but couldn't decide what it was until a pod of about 20 fish were 15 feet in front of me. At that range I couldn't do anything about it so I froze and advised Gary. He nonchalantly cast and hooked up immediately. I then cast and started stripping, then as I started to pickup for another cast a couple of fish start chasing my fly - and what do I do, I play keepaway. Oh well. Over the next ten minutes we sight a couple of smaller groups of larger fish and Gary gets a fish from each group. One was in the 26 to 30" range and had Gary into backing. We continued moving out but things pretty much died. This was about two hours into the dropping tide. Gary advised that prime time on that flat was throughout the incoming and the early part of the drop. We moved back towards shore looking for stragglers. I didn't get any fish but had a great time, learned how to fish a small piece of the place and had the pleasure of enthusiastic company. I will be back soon.

Regards,
Fred A.