Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Poly leaders
Thread: Poly leaders
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Exclamation good idea Pete

I like that idea Pete, hadn't thought about using the poly's as a quick substitute for a sink tip, but I can think of situations where that would have worked well and allowed me a quick change up without changing out my dry line. Usually I get lazy and just keep on fishing "as is" because I don't want to take the time to change my line out just for a smaller pocket.

I was doubtful about the value of the poly's when first exposed to them, especially with their higher cost and that I thought they essentially do the same thing as a leader. However, as the saying goes, "trust your guide", and I bought one. Because of their durability, I just change up the tippet and keep using the poly, and it has probably saved me dozens of leaders during a year of use, or at the least the time to repair the leaders. Normally I would have put on a new leader each time I go out. Now I just change out the tippet and inspect the poly before re-using. I put a loop on the end of the poly, and I'll tie a perfection loop on the tippet and changing tippets are a snap now, too. I ended up buying more for my other rods.

Pete, how's the snow pack so far up in Bow country ?