Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Need a good beginner's setup... any advice?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2004, 06:39 PM

oh yeah, first rig...

i was looking for a beginner setup myself earlier this year and spent a tad bit more to go with a Scott V2 6#/9'/4x with Cortland reel and SA Headstart line. it's a been a very decent setup for me and it's seen action on all sorts of large rivers and small creeks in Colorado. i walked into a shop in Austin and the dude knew exactly what i should get as a beginner. even now, as my casting has improved times over, the rod feels good. i'm starting into stiffer actions now, but for backpacking and riding into spots, i'll have a good rig to go to. the four-piece packs perfectly in a CamelBak and on my larger backpack so getting around with it is not an issue.

for your future -- this is based on me so take it loosely i suppose -- you'll likely improve your casting dramatically, want to fish for specific species, learn to use streamers, learn to nymph with an indicator, etc., so you'll want a more specialized rod so i wouldn't look at this rod being your last. just another tool to use when you need it. i only started fly fishing this year and already i have a second rod for coastal species, plus i'm looking to get a short, light, portable spring creek rig for my return to the mountains. it never ends muwahaha...