Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Need a good beginner's setup... any advice?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good advice for a budget outfit but the problem I have with big mail order / mega sport shop is that they are putting the neighborhood flyshops in a bind. The local fly shop puts a knowledgeable pro into the shop to take care of you, often willing to go the extra mile... but the megashop/mail businesses undercuts the prices by purchasing inventory en masse with a clerk that barely knows how to spell "flyfishing".

When I think back about where my knowledge and flyfishing passion came from, I think about the crusty old guy who somehow managed to make a living at the flyshop in town. I think back about a secret spot he shared with me, or a line recipe, fly pattern, etc. I've even had flyshop pros take me to a spot in person.

Some are certified instructors, and while out trying a rod in the parking lot you might end up getting a tailing loop cleaned up.

I just can't seem to get myself to undermine that important relationship with the flyshops I visit. Just something to think about.