Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Best Bonefish Hook???
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am also a big fan of the TMC 811s for flats fishing. I use them predominately on the northeastern flats for striped bass sight fising but also use the smaller sizes for most of my standard bonefish patterns (gotchas, etc). Very reliable and razor sharp. I use non-toxic eyes so the high grade alloy in a lighter wire hook is less prone to swim wrong with the thinner wire hook. It's a good choice when looking for a light, tough hook. The barbs are tiny and easy to smash.

As far as color, if it looks like the forage species it's a good color. If there are bronze highlights on the crab you are imitating, let's say brown rubber legs, the bronze hooks are great for the task. Most of the time the matte finish on stainless goes well with the sand colored gotchas I use.

Only stainless hooks will last you years of angling between saltwater fishing trips. I was surprised to catch my first Aruba bonefish (far from being a destination) last year on the exact same fly that I caught a Florida Keys bone seven years prior. It was a touch rusty near the bend of the hook off the dressing but the fish didn't seem to mind.

I soon lost the fly on another bone that rubbed me off on the coral (Malmok bones are notorious for doing this) but because it was stainless it last for almost a decade in my bonefish box and I'd still have it today were it not for the fish's clever antics.

The Daichi, TMC are very similar hooks.