Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Coho fever... got the antidote!
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2001, 12:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That would be great, Ryan. That's how I experienced Sekiu the first time I went. I met a McChord AFB recruit on the plane from Minneapolis when I was flying to SEA to start my new job in the mid-80's. Turned out he was a fisherman and I gave him my new work number. He found out he could rent Arima Sea Hunters for $25 / day off the base so we decided to grab our tents and go to Sekiu.

When we got to the base to pick up the boat, an officer "pulled rank" and we ended up with the Livingston skiff instead. No problem in fact that thing was as seaworthy as could be. Drove out to Sekiu with an hour or two of daylight to spare with no intention of fishing when a father son team came in with their limit of huge kings. We went over to talk to them and they suggested we get out there right away, handing us a half dozen 6" herring in a bag. We dropped the skiff and headed to Mousolini Rock, and the rest is history. On the second pass motor mooching right at the edge of the kelp in 90 feet of water I hooked, battled and landed a 20 pound ocean chinook (first ever). I got my line back in the water and decided to bleed the salmon on the bow rope. John hooked up with another king, and while I was messing with the first fish the rod doubled over - and went overboard!

John lost his fish and we limped back with one fishing rod and a big fat king salmon. I packed it in the cooler and crashed with dreams of fish in our heads for the next morning. I had no rod so I used a little spinning rod John had for freshwater. We went out along the 90 foot mark at dawn and I landed about a 15 pounder on that little spinning rod - what a battle!

After 9am the inshore action for kings dies so we headed out to find coho - what an eye opener that was. The little boat didn't have rod holders and a couple times the rods were nearly ripped out of our hands.

Soon I would be introduced to the way coho love to hit flies on the surface by Ken Morgan, my salmon fishing mentor. Eventually I would sample the Straits, Neah Bay and the Vancouver Island waters (Swiftshure) with a flyrod. Now I go with only a flyrod.

Anyway camping would sure cut the costs down to a minimum and allow us to have several days split between the prime time fly action and the areas summer steelhead streams. On the way out - the Elwha, the extender being the upper Hoh staying in Forks.

Count me in!