Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Floating Candlefish Fly for Silvers
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2001, 11:20 PM
Recent Member

Floating Candlefish Fly for Silvers

Last week there was a shoreline in the Puget Sound saltchuck with some good sized silvers chasing candlefish up to the surface. I was getting them on a Clouser Minnow fly using an extra fast sinking line. The activity started to slow down so I thought why not try a floating line and a foam bodied candlefish fly with a 2" synthetic tail(olive/white)which I had tied up a while ago but never used. If I could get the fly to skate and wake nicely on the retrieve it was bedlam for an hour. Sometimes there would be several fish chasing behind the fly before one would slam it. The fly would sink several inches below the surface if not retrieved. Short quick retrieves with pauses so that the fly would sink worked but not as well as the skated retrieve. I think the skated retrieve with all the surface disturbance brought the fish up to see what was going on.

I am going to try using smaller/lighter hooks so that the fly will float better and also balsa wood instead of foam. Has anyone used/tied and had success with floating candlefish flies in Puget Sound for silvers? I have seen some of the patterns that they use along the East Coast but didn't like the looks of them. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts.