Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Coho tube flies?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2001, 10:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

In all honesty I don't deserve credit for either but I might have been a bit anxious to see all the PNW had to offer while there.

I had 12 years in the PNW and they were not squandered, that I will say. I knew that with my in-laws illnesses that my wife would pull the rip cord sooner or later so I explored every possible face of the jewel of the northwest. Although I got into a rut with certain reliable spots (visting over and over) I did try to go somewhere I had never been before regularly and tried to mix it up as much as I could. At first it would dilute my focus on a river or region but over time it provided a macro view of the region that I would not trade for all the secrets on one river.

In a sense I was lucky to have a sense of urgency that the next adventure could be the last, particularly after cardiac problems in the family.

I fished the Chehalis system - Wynoochee, Satsop, Skookumchuck, Newaukum and Chehalis itself; I fished Grays Harbor for big ocean silvers and kings, three rivers - from the mouth to the rain forest, Sol Duc, Calawah, Elwha, Hoko, Sekiu, Pyscht, Goodman Crk, Morse Crk, Sekiu, Neah, Ilwaco, Willapa Bay, Pt.Townsend, Bush Pt, Fort Casey, Hamma Hamma, Hood Canal tribs around Tahuya, Columbia tribs... Puget Sound / Cascade rivers. The Columbia tribs from the Cowlitz to Wenatchee's Icicle creek were sampled frequently. Many trips to the striats and across to Swiftshure bank made the saltchuck adventures complete. It was a wild romp through an endlessly fascinating anglers' paradise called the pacific northwest.

I am convinced that a person could never stop roaming the Pacific Northwest in an entire lifetime! Now that it's down to once a year my rate of discovery has slowed w-a-y down but I do truly appreciate those times with towering trees and snow-capped mountains all around me and the promise of a wild trout the size of my leg electrifying every pool I fished.