Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Coho tube flies?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2001, 10:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There was a contingent of regulars at Middle Pt (Sekiu) staying at the campground (Coho Resort?) who went out to Moussolini Rock to fish squid at night. The kings they brought back were unbelievable! The buzz-bombers do very well after dark at Redondo, Des Moines, etc.

McClane's encyclopedia includes a description of a study biologists did with tagged chinook, who exhibited distinct depth changes between day and night.

I am convinced that if you flyfished at Nittinat Inlet's gravel delta when the kings are feeding on that 20 foot shelf you are bound to score. Those guys who camp there fish that 20 foot shelf and bring tyee consistently to the boat. Our group stopped for a look and scored with the biggest being ~30 pounds.

Because of their size, an occasional big king on the fly would be worth the pursuit for an entire week. I just don't think it's been figured out yet myself. Could be wrong, but I just don't think it has. Who ever does will make the bare hook sockeye thing look dull in comparison!