Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Ridiculous Clave... cont'd
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

More on Acklins / Crooked Island...

Research reveals that there are more than two lodging options per mile on these islands, which are separated by a small cut with a $4 ferry to cross them. These hotels range from affordable and humble establishments to posh angler's accomodations on the international destinations lists. Clearly the reason is some of the best bonefishing on earth, DIY too.

Stretched out, these islands together are only about 15 miles long and not even a mile across in many places. A rental car could scour the island's shoreline in a day.

We could fly into Acklins and out on Crooked, vice-versa, or round trip to the same airstrip and it's $105 each way no matter what the combination - $210 r/t from Nassau. The problem is we have to get to Nassau, can't fly direct from Ft.Lauderdale like we could to Eleuthera, etc. This difference represents a $300 difference in the flight costs overall as opposed to Eleuthera.

Lodging options on Crooked Island include a place on Landrail Pt that wants $80 / night for three bedrooms, $20 each sleeping four per unit, BUT the meals plan is $55 per day per person (optional). Still $75 per day for meals the owners boast about is pretty good, and they pack lunches to go.

If you poke around a bit I think you'll get the same excitement about Acklins / Crooked Island that I have. Take a look and let me know.

** - this is not to say Berry, Eleuthera, and others are out, just adding another viable option before we make up our minds over the next week or two.

Detailed Itinerary will follow, once I hear back from inquiries I have made to businesses on both islands.