Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - almost an Akroyd
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

The head looks fine because it is well formed and has the "Hersey Kiss" shape nearly every antique classic featherwing or dee fly had that I've seen. To my eye, the G.P. crest tail is a little long, but there is nothing wrong with yours; it is simply my preference to have a tail only slightly longer than the bend of the hook on dees.

Your understanding of the Akroyd is right on. It was tied with a light orange body and cinnamon turkey or Argus pheasant wing and with a yellow body and white turkey wing. Although I've not seen any antique Akroyds with an orange body and white wing, there is every reason to believe they were tied this way too. Likewise, the front body needing to be floss is another one of those things that ain't necessarily so. I've seen antique Arkroyds tied with dubbed front bodies instead of floss.

As far as the Akroyd being a style of fly, I think not because they were other dee flies that used floss and dubbing body sections (the Jock O'Dee for instance with both body sections made of floss), and many dee flies had hackle on the rear body section and a spey feather on the front body section. Even the use of teal as a face hackle was not a universal on the antique dees. Teal or European widgon was the most commonly used feather for the face hackle; however, guinea body feathers was used very often.

Personally, I don't see how a specific dee fly pattern (such as the Akroyd) can be considered to be a style of fly because any of the old dee flies can have a body segment color changed to a modern "bright, florescent" color, like some have done with the Akroyd. However, simply tying a modern dee fly using florescent materials doesn't make the fly no longer a dee, not doesn it make the fly into a "style of fly". I strongly suspect most folks who are calling the Akroyd a style of fly are nor very knowledgeable about the old styes of salmon featherwing, like the dee; therefore, when they see a fly like the Akroyd and not having seen other dee flies, there is a strong tendency to pronounce the Akroyd is a style of fly and not a specific pattern.