Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - I am going crazy
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2001, 05:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like the summer run is going to be insane down there this year! I remember 1986 as a crazy year for summer fish.

Something about that first summer fish... with everything in bloom, the days warming quickly from crisp mornings and fish so bright and strong they stop your breathing when they scream around the pool, jumping as high as any fish and ripping line like a bolt of lightning. I remember a fish that I hooked behind a fairly small rock that ran down the pool and jumped, then another quickly jumped upstream that looked just like it. I was alone so it puzzled me but in a split second my line began to rip-sizzle upriver and it was my fish jumping almost instantly upstream after it's downstream aerials. Winter's warriors are beautiful to behold and powerful as the river itself - but a May/June summer run is the hardbody youth with energy to burn when hooked. Put that in a 17 pound chrome package and hang on!

I'll bet all the Columbia tribs get a big shot of summer fish this year. I just might be making two summer run trips this season!