Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Australia Bonefishing - New Caledonia
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 01:34 AM

Bonefish & Golden Trevally in Australia

fishardbc, the others are right about the Goldens, there's plenty of them at Weipa on the west coast of Cape York. This is a remote area with access by light plan from Cairns. Phil Philiskirk's tours took a mate out a couple of weeks back and it was awesome, but December may be getting a bit warm up there (it was 36Celcius every day in mid-September). There's GT's down near Fraser Island, about 2hrs north of Brisbane/Gold Coast. There's guided trips by a bloke name Sid Boshammer. As for bonefish, well you'll have more luck catching them in New Cal than here. No real records of numbers of bones caught here. As far as I know the bonefishing is all sewn up by a french guy in New Cal named Phillipe. He runs tours up there catching big ones - 8-10lbs are average. The website is fishinginternational.com/location/newcaledo.htm. If the url doesn't come through just email me I'll I'll send it. And if you're down Sydney way at any stage, give me a yell and I'll take you out after our local pelagics.