Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Neah Bay Coho on Atkins
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 10:50 AM

Neah Bay Coho on Atkins

We had a strange situation last weekend out near the whistle bouy and wonder if any of you have seen it or how you solved the problem. There were plenty of coho around and in the top 20 or 30 feet of water. They were eating without question as I had my Whaler partner and his 11 year old son aboard who couldn't cast in the wind. We set him up so he could send a plug cut herring (sorry guys) down on a dead drift and he couldn't keep the coho off. In the time he missed or lost 11 fish his dad and I had one follow. It seemed like they only wanted protien and nothing else interested them. Topwater had a very tough day as well.

I have felt that I have seen this before in September but never had bait aboard to verify that the fish were at a depth I could effectively fish with a fly. Strange part was that the following day it was business as usual.

Weather has been difficult but when we could see and cast the fish are there. They just get bigger and bigger. Had a great morning in the kelp with Moonlight where we found lots of rock fish and even landed a legal lingcod and lost several others. Two were fair hooked although two others took rock fish that were in the process of being landed. Big rods were bent to the corks and they still got us. A cunning plan when waiting out the wind.

They are out there...you should be too!

Warren