Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Fired up for a trip to the cape....finally!
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dave -

Thanks you just confirmed a thought for me. Lighthouse regulars have been dragging fish off as I arrive at 5am, but I end up working for a legal among the schoolies thru the 7:30 drive down to the causeway. After the shuttle I see hordes of birds working and cross over to find sand eels popping from the wet and at my feet and birds picking cigar sized bait all around me but the big fish are nowhere to be seen. Seals have begun to roost on the shoals around the corner from the lighthouse in large numbers in mid-July, signalling lot of food nearby.

I was thinking that pre-dawn Atlantis sorties to the beach needed to be on my short list with recent changes, but the long walk around to reach the beach pitted against the thoughts of big flats fish (and lots of them now) c/o Rip Ryder have kept me from doing the walk.

I'll start heading onto Nauset 4x4 pre-dawn more and more as fall approches so I can cover the shoreline from Orleans to Chatham by truck with two Atlantis rods rigged in the rod racks - one with the 12wt floater and a big banger and the other with the 35ft type 7 shooting head and a foot long rip deep eel. Also got some black boilermaker bodies (1" diameter foam) for heads to make those nightstalker tube flies.

Gotta get a 40# from the beach on a fly one of these days...