Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Neah Bay
Thread: Neah Bay
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Great news, I hope I can take advantage this year.

You should've seen it in the mid to late 80's when I started with the long rods on Clallam Bay and Pillar Pt - I was literally the only one I met with a fly rod at Sekiu a few trips. There were a few bucktailers, but they didn't use fly rods. I know you hard cores were out there, but we were so sparse you'd never know it.

During a Hooknose Conclave I organized with an old mail list FF group (FLYFISH@ hosted at UKY) well over 10 years ago we were actually ridiculed by passing boats... but the hooknose fishing was just screamin' hot and I purposely stuck around those making fun just to show them how much fun we were having battling the big slabs on the 8wts! We landed like 20 fish a day, and had several in the teens.

The trend as I see it is first light to 6:30-7am is topwater time, then for the next hour or two it's good intermediate line fishing while they are still cruising around in the rips and along kelp beds, etc - after that it's hi-density depth charging and stripping jolts and twitches to keep it down in the zone. All three are productive.

You can tell it's phase one because the fish are usually showing on top a lot, and the kicker boat crews are hitting fish. By the time the downriggers are the only ones hitting them it's time to drop the hi-den down and let the drift of the boat swing the line around, then start a series of twitches to hold the depth as long as possible to attract the attention of deep running salmon.

You can probably just skip the intermediate and go right to the fast sink, stripping faster in the mid-phase and changing to do the deep six sink as the morning gets closer to breakfast break.

A floater really makes the dawn surface fishing a lot easier, the intermediate tends to dog the popper down and make the line more of a pain to keep casting. Most of us cast to the side and let the popper swing around, if everything is dead and we go into "search" mode we will bucktail around until we see something happening.

I sure love that salmon fishery!