Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Maryland trout streams?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 03:04 PM
Recent Member

Mayflyman-

As a northern virginia resident let me say that you will find numerous opportunities around the Frederick MD area.

Frederick puts you within ten to fiteen minutes of Big Hunting Creek (stocked and some naturally reproducing). You are also within 45 minutes of some of Pennsylvannia's most well known southcentral streams (LeTort, Falling Springs, and Yellow Breeches).

Western Maryland has some great brookie fishing in the upper reaches of the Savage River. The Savage below the dam and the North Branch of the Potomac are beginning to get reputations as destination type streams with large and numerous fish being caught. These streams are some of the closest the Mid-Atlantic has to compare with Western style drift boat fishing.

You may also learn to love fishing for smallmouth bass as you will be within ten minutes of the Potomac River at Point of Rocks.

I concur with the earlier contact points at Angler's Lie in Arlington, VA, but there is also a new fly fishing store in Frederick and a long time store in Thurmont, MD, which has supplied guides over the past twenty years to Presidents and their guests at Camp David which is not far from Big Hunting Creek.

If you would like any additional area information feel free to email me of list at wbozarth@mccandlaw.com