Fly Fishing Forum banner

islamorada

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bcasey 
#1 ·
in the coming day i will be traveling to islamorada i was just wondering whereabouts to fish and what patterns i should use i have a 9' 9wt. rod ive been flyfishing for about a year now

thanks for all your help

#8 ·
Actually, I find Bonefish Bob's to be easy to miss and I even know where it is. I seem to drive by it every year. It is right across a side street from Sandy Moret's Florida Keys Outfitters, but that is easy to miss, too. If heading toward Key West and you reach World Wide Outfitters, as pointed out previously, you've gone too far. The new WWO is pretty hard to miss.

#9 ·
well igot back yesterday i stopped a bonefishbobshe didnt really give me any good information probly cause im so yound and he didnt take me seriosly there were no fish anywhere where he told me to go aroundjust one or two nurse sharks. so after that i know the capt on robbies party boat and i didnt have enogh money to go on a back contry so he let me fly fish on his headboat wernt a lot of people and i got a 5lbs mahi-mahi and 2 got off. that was fun on fly later i went to baihi honda state park and from shore i hooked up with a around 100 tarpon and a 30lbs cuda both spit the hook

thanks evey one for pur help.

#10 ·
Yikes, was the 100 Tarpon or one fish of 100lb? :Eyecrazy:

Sounds like you had a great time. Mahi Mahi are great fun on flies. We all lose fish from time to time. If you find its happening a lot then make sure your hooks are sharp - always carry a sharpener. When you get a hit, try not to lift the rod. Set the hook hard with your stripping hand. Four or five really sharp pulls should do the trick.

Then you can get a picture too :wink:

Thanks for the report!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.