Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - value of salmon to local economies
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 04:18 AM

Buying out the nets makes sense !

The West of Ireland is where I do most of my fishing. I haven`t yet seen the recent figures, but last years estimates were put at $14.80 per netted salmon, versus $960 per rod caught salmon, revenue to the local economy.
That doesn`t take account of released fish, so the figure is actually much higher than this.
This year has been amazing, with record runs of spring fish, and we`re currently enjoying a grilse run of record proportions also.
Much of this is a direct result of the sterling work that has been carried out by the North Atlantic Salmon Fund (NASF), through their net buy-out scheme.
I am almost embarrased to say, that the stumbling block to the total free passage of salmon returning to spawn, is our Irish government, whom have not yet joined forces with the fund to complete the total buy-out of all remaining nets.
We continue to mount pressure, lobby, fundraise, and conserve, and remain confident that we will eventually succeed in our battle to return the salmon to the angling fraternity, whom in greatest part, have their welfare as their top priority.