Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - South Platte
Thread: South Platte
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2000, 02:26 PM

South Platte

I have been reading on the board questions about why fish out here seem to feed more during the winter than back east. I do not know the answer but here is something to chew on. Fished Cheesman canyon from about 1 to 4 yesterday. The Gill trail was very icy and i was glad to have hiking boots. The water was low and the sun was shining temp around 50. I found a pool with fish sipping midges and got no takers on my 22 gnat. Switched to a size 18 orange scud with a 24 olive RS2 and within 5 casts had a fat 18 inch rainbow on. Landed that fish more by luck than skill when some bozo entered the head of the pool i was fishing. That put the fish right down. I moved downstream to the icebox and found the sipping fish again. No takers on gnats with 5X tippit but on switching to 7X i began to hook up. I got my hand into the mouth of a big brown and managed to cut my thumb and finger. Once the sun got off the water the temp fell and i headed to the car for a celebratory beer. Nice end to a great thanksgiving holiday.