Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Wachusett Reservoir, or poor planning promises poor performance
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 01:11 PM

Wachusett Reservoir, or poor planning promises poor performance

This morning was going to be a trout morning until I slept late and realized that for family harmony I'd better wait until my son left for school to leave. After the late start I headed to Wachusett reservoir for the morning. For those who are not in Massachussetts this reservoir is a source of water for Boston & the region. Over the years it has produced several state record fish despite being limited to shore fishing only.

Arriving at a favored parking location on the reservoir I gathered my stuff and headed off after realizing that the bug spray and sunscreen were in the bag for fishing with the kids along with my hat at home. I then compounded that by leaving the stripping basket and a spare spool with a sinking tip line in the car.

I walked to one of my favorite spots stopping along the way to pick up a small small mouth and a chunky sunfish. It was a good start to the day. The favorite location was baren so I headed on to a sandy peninsula where in the past I've picked up yellow perch. 3 casts after arriving on the sand bar I hooked a nice bass ~ 16" long that I Ldr'd after deciding that I should put it on the spool rather than horsing it in.

After some observation that sure would have been easier with a hat I observed that there was a school of bass pushing fry into the shore, and traveling back and forth along the shore as the fry moved. So back and forth along the shore I followed cursing leaving the stripping basket in the car every time I snagged a branch. I managed to pick up 1 more smally durring this back and forth then decided it was time to head back to the car before the sunburn started.

Passing by the favored spot mentioned earlier I saw that bass were in deep water and moving about. I couldn't get the fly down to them in time to present it on the floating line I had on so once again I cursed my poor planning for leaving the sink tip in the car. After about 15 minutes of frustration and realizing that I didn't have any clouser that approached the forage colors I walked back to the car. Once there I pulled the ticks off and headed home frustrated by my poor planning.