Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Welcome to "Art of Casting"
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 07:17 AM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Big Al

Hey big guy, all kidding aside, let me help you a little. I majored in English Literature and almost went into teaching until I realized that a classroom environment was not where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Here's a couple things to help with Shakespeare.

First of all the language is usually the biggest barrier to overcome. Just remember that that's the way folks talked in 16th century England and it's not really that hard to understand if you just relax and listen to what the writer is trying to tell you. Read through the story once, at a normal reading pace and don't get hung up on or slowed down by the unusual wording. Just read it through and you'll get a good idea of what was said. Then, and here's the important part, read it again! You'll already have an idea of what is going on in the story and when you go over things again the dialogues will make more sense to you.

Shakespeare is important and relevant 400 years after it was written for the same reasons it was relevant then. The stories explore and clearly share insight into the most fundamental aspects of human nature. What I mean by that is, here you will find the emotions of anger, love, treachery, loyalty. You see people having to deal with struggles in life that will define the lives of themselves and others, and done in a way that can convey those emotions (not easy to do) to others. I assume by your post (school) that you're young,
so you probably like and understand the emotions conveyed in rap music. If you can apreciate that, then you can apreciate Shakespeare. Believe it or not, they accomplish the same thing!

Best of luck. If you're reading Macbeth or Hamlet you should really like it!