Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Commuter flyfishing
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2000, 02:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Commuter flyfishing

Take rte 2 west past the Walden turn off, past the west concord turn off, and take the left after that. There is a convenience store / Gas station on the left and a farm stand on the right. It's the one with the pond along the highway. I think there is a sign saying 117 truck route. This road crosses over Concord River and goes to Nine Acre Corner.

If you miss it, just go to Emerson Hospital and take that left toward Nine Acre Corner. That's Old Road to NAC, which joins with the road described above. Either way you're safe.

From NAC, take a right, then the first right "Plainfield Rd.". Go up the hill, don't bear right - stay on Plainfield. Once at the top there will be a gate on the left that leads to the boat ramp. Go to the bottom of the road.

There's a faster way to the far end of PLainfield past the Elementary school but i can't recall the name. There is also another access on the far end of the pond with better water to fish, but I think I'll being the canoe to avoid waders and get to the fish.

This time of year I use sinking line and wolly buggers more than the finesse stuff, but I'll bring both lines. The fish may still be rising and dry lines may be all you need. Unlike the Cape ponds, the bottom is snaggy and you can't drag nymphs on the sand like you can at Cliff. You can also use long leaders and weighted flies/nymphs with great results, sinking line is not critical.

I like beadhead tan biot stones, they always do well for me. Also beadhead wooly buggers on dry lines with long leaders work really well.

DOMENIC - you out there? BobD?