Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Falsifying Salmon numbers to remove protection
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

OC, my friend,

I don't know if the administration is pleased with Hogan's and Redden's rulings or not. The administration may be pleased with it; but none of us really know the answer to your question. I do know that the power producers, timber interests, commercial fisherman, farmers, and land developers are happy with them because the Pacific Legal Foundation was formed to represent them. I do know that NOAA was ordered to change the Pacific Salmon Recovery Plan by Judge Redden to include consideration of hatchery fish that are not significantly divergent from wild fish.

Drake,

I never said I find the judficial rulings acceptable. I did say that they are a done deal and that we sportsfishers and conservationist need to learn how to work within the changes they have wrought and are bringing about instead of wasting our time and energy "bitching and moaning" over the rulings. The courts have spoken and no amount of angry rhetoric, hyperbole, or complaint about the adminstration is going to change the courts' decisions.

In my opinion, the only changes I see in the next 3 to 5 years are in these areas: 1) hatchery operations will most likely start going to the use of river broodstock so that the genetic difference with the wild fish becomes moot; 2) hatchery operations will change to a more "natural" type of rearing pond - like is happening on the Puyallup River - as recommended by the hatchery study group headed by UW; 3) limited delisting of salmon stocks; but only in those river systems where there is little genetic devergence from wild fish to avoid furthur litigation based on Hogan's and Redden's rulings; 4) increasing wild fish release rules with the attendant cries of foul from some sportsfishers in response to them; 5) an increase in estuary enhancement projects to help threatened/endangered chinook; 6) and a return to more reliance on hatchery production - like was done in the very recent past - on rivers were dams have blocked access to spawning grounds or slowed down smolt migration to the point that smolt don't make it to the salt in time.