Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Falsifying Salmon numbers to remove protection
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 AM

Fine. So a species is a species regardless of its birthplace Ė whether in spawning gravel or test tube. Letís skip ahead a couple of stepsÖ

Our rivers are now teeming with fish and that seems to indicate that all is well with the habitatÖ After all, look at the numbers of fish! Our rivers must be clean, habitable and passable by migrating fish. Therefore, let development and habitat degradation continue unabated! Whatís the worry?

Iím sorryÖ Iím not buying it. As I said in another forum, this sounds a bit to me like strangling the canary so you donít have to think about how noxious the fumes might be in the mine.

Although Iím not in agreement with it, Iíd have a good deal less trouble with the notion that a species is a species regardless of its birthplace if I believed it would result in anything other than the complete exploitation of our resources. I am not, however, up for buying a bridge in Brooklyn. They'll have to take their sales pitch elsewhere.