Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Lake Ontario report....
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Fly chucker

doogue-

For what it's worth, the best fly of the trip was without doubt a white Page Rogers big-eye baitfish, size 2/0 and 4 to 5 inches long and with plenty of flash. Being a Northeastern saltwater fisherman, I'm gonna assume that you're familiar with the pattern. If not, I can point you in the direction of an image (alas, my remaining patterns are chewed up almost beyond recognition). I've often brought salt water boxes with me when pike fishing because of the crossover appeal, and very often they have been the answer.

A few other flies that worked fairly well were Adrian's daredevle flatwing, and Frenchcreek's Yakka-Pikka fly, both of which are in the archives. Unfortunately, the featherbrains that I tied didn't do welll at all. I think this is because they have the flash on the inside. I'll tie some up with more flash on the outside for further evaluation in Alberta next month.

Also, muskie are the fish of 1000 casts....pike can be had much more easily. If you can throw 50 or 60 feet of line and consistently hit structure with that distance, you can get them. Look for structure with close access to deeper water; if you find structure in shallow water, or deeper water without structure, your chances aren't as good as having the two together.

Let me know if you need more info regarding the flies.