Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Florida Keys
Thread: Florida Keys
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 07:33 PM

Talking

Well I'm back...and cold already... My fishing report for the Florida Keys is as follows...WIND, WIND, WIND, temps in the low 80's every day. I was in the lower Keys Tuesday to Tuesday. Wind blew 30 to 50 steady from Tuesday to Friday. All of the flats were extremely choppy and visibility was nil. Juro, The flats at Bahia Honda, ocean side were running whitecaps 2-3 feet, Sea's were very confused and there was no hiding... YUK

I did manage to take a couple of Jack crevalle off of a sea wall on the bridge between Bahia Honda and Big Pine, biggest was about 8 pounds. I was rippin a Bob's Banger in the channel as fast as I could for these guys.

On Saturday we fished the backcountry in an area known as the trench off of Niles Channel, It is a twenty foot hole surrounded by beautiful flats and mangroves. Flats were unfishable but the fish were stacked in this hole. Water temps were 69-70 degrees. Big tarpon were rolling everywhere around the boat but no hookups. The experts down there claim that the tarpon need 74-78 degree water to go on the feed. Caught some mangrove snapper and other small reef fish on a pink shrimp pattern. Hooked and lost a large cobia on a pattern similar to a cockroach. We lost a couple of sharks on light tackle in the same area.

We took my friends Hydrosport out to Looe Key on Sunday. Managed to get a couple of Cero Macks. Boy they fought good for their size. Threw a chartreuse and white deep sand eel into the chum slick for them, biggest may have been 5-6 pounds. Had something on out there that took 150 yards of backing before snapping the leader, was probably a big cuda or kingfish, however we'll never know.

Monday was the only calm day and of course I had already planned an offshore trolling trip. Unfortunately, did not get any shots at sails although several boats around had hooked up. We did get into the grouper and kingfish real well with several fish going over 30-35 pounds. Sorry, these were on conventional tackle but they were still a blast to catch.

Overall, a great trip,

Ray J