Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - O.P. Letter Writing Campaign
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:O.P. Letter Writing Campaign

Just sent mine... FYI

Dear WDFW Commission -

In our already offset balance between human presence and indigenous species, this spring's Cascade steelhead closures promise to dramatically sway the attention of anglers to the Olympic Peninsula streams during the peak of the native steelhead season.

This is not to say that Cascade closures are wrong, in fact if the runs need protection then that is the best thing we can do. What is wrong is to allow the heightened slaughter of already pressured indigenous runs in an adjacent area.

I've traveled to fish the wild places on the peninsula for almost 20 years. I have been lucky to experience some of the most remote and pristine places the region has to offer. Each year the native fish of the Hoh, Sol Duc, and surrounding rivers are killed in large numbers this time of year. While the catch and release season on Cascade streams is the shining example of good sporting practices for a fishery, the mentality of the peninsula fishery is catch and kill during a sensitive native run. This is an ambiguous management policy for two equally precious resources in the same region. More catch and release (no-kill) policies should be adopted for peninsula native runs.

It's ironic that this year's decision to protect one precious run will potentially cause a dramatic death toll on another equally precious run just a few hours drive away. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that we are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It is the belief of the overwhelming majority of anglers I know that we should place a catch and release protection regulation on the peninsula steelhead to protect them against this potential massacre. Please take action to make this sensible act of stewardship a reality.

Best regards,

Juro Mukai