Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - go it alone bones in Yucatan
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 01:11 PM

go-it-alone bones-Thanks!

Thanks for the help folks!

Especially, thanks to Frank for all the time he took to forward me many messages he had on file regarding fishing in Yucatan.

I did read one that said a fishing license is definately required to fish within the Sian Kaan Preserve. Said he was checked several times up near Boca Paila (sp?).

I understand this permit can be obtained through any Mexican consulate so I'll check with the one closest to me.

We will be renting a small car and driving. The place we're booked is not a fishing lodge but located very close to the Paradise Lodge, apparently. I guess this is roughly 10 to 30 kilometers south of the Sian Kaan Preserve. Somewhere in that area, right on the coast. Web site says 4 1/2 hours by car south of Cancun. So, yes, we will miss the area on the north side of Sian Kaan. We MAY have to try and upgrade our choice of car, however, as it sounds like getting around in or near Sian Kaan could be somewhat tricky. I did find out that the three major rental companies no longer rent VW beetles, despite what one of their websites states. I wasn't exactly looking forward to a Beetle, having owned one some 30 years ago, but I figured it would be a good way to blend in and I know they were going little beasts. I used to take mine off road all the time and never had any problems.

I'm really looking forward to it. It will surely be a hit n' miss proposition but I'm sure I can find some fish, if the weather cooperates. Thanks again!

Slip