Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Florida Keys
Thread: Florida Keys
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 05:57 PM

Dan,

Thanks for beating me to the punch, I am leaving for the Keys on tuesday and welcome any additional information that anyone has.

One spot worthwhile on the way south is the canal and mangrove swamp that borders Cartsound Road. I don't think that you will find bonefish there but you are bound to see some snook, mangrove snapper and small tarpon. There is a big sign for Cartsound Road on the left as soon as you enter the Keys on Route 1. There is fishable water along a good section of the road and it eventually brings you right back to Route 1 in the area of the state park in Key Largo. Just watch the back cast or you may hook onto a buick at 55.

A very worthwhile stop along the Cartsound Road is Alabama Jacks, an outdoor restaurant, best Grouper sandwich in the Keys. Its always a good stop to take in the scenery and enjoy a good meal and a cold beverage...

Juro,

I am staying just a couple of miles south of Bahai Honda, What would you recommend for fly pattern and color? (Specifically what did the 8# take...) All previous trips to the Keys have been mostly spinning tackle. I am hoping to wear out the new rod.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson