Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - rod cleaning
Thread: rod cleaning
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2000, 05:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:rod cleaning

Jeff - hangin' the old striper stick up for the winter, eh?

When I get ambitious I give my good rods a little soak in the tub, then a little scrub with soapy water, rinse and dry. I've heard that furniture polish is what manufacturers use to restore luster, and I have used it without noticing any ill effects. Honestly though, I don't polish them often. I think I've done it once or twice in my life.

Anyway, I suspect turtle wax would be a good choice too - it reduces ultraviolet rays and all that. Never tried it but autowax seems like a great treatment for the graphite.

What's most important to me is the removal of salt residue from the guide assemblies where even the best rods are known to build a little superficial rust between the metal and the wraps / coatings.

I also take the time to remove any sand or particles that may have found their way into the reel seat or any other orifice.

I lightly sanded the cork before and that made it look pretty until the next time I slimed it. Decided that wasn't important.

TO tell the honest to goodness truth, the only time I ever "detailed" rods was when I was trying to sell them!

Juro