Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2000, 01:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines

The "deep sea" lines appear to be the delivery mechanism from cracking running lines, for real. The line does not telegraph the load point as well as the QD Cortland but once you find the zone (paying more attention to things than one needs to with the QD) it throws a good line. I know with a little effort one can get comfortable with it because occasionally it pulls drag from my reel when I hit it just right.

The running line is as susceptible to tangling as any line is, but no worse.

I've landed a number of good fish on it this year and it seems to be holding up. I've inspected the joint and there is no sign of fatigue whatsoever at this point in the season.

It was used from BobP's boat, from the Tip Rip, from Big Girl Bar, from the Ocean Beaches, and from Monomoy. I'd give it a thumbs up rating because of the prospect of being a durable alternative to the QD.

Once again, I found the QD an easier line to cast overall, perhaps due to the running line diameter and the taper on the head portion. Despite this, I give the RIo a high rating because we needed an alternative to having to send the QD in frequently.

This has made it clear that Cortland stands by their products and they also make several other outstanding lines for various situations, like the clear intermediate 444 line - which I love. That line has been my intermediate line choice for two seasons without problems, and it holds a nail knot directly without any fudging around with loops.

More to come...