Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Bug Spray
Thread: Bug Spray
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2000, 06:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Bug Spray

Terry W (who is fishing right now) uses the Avon Skin-so-soft moist towellettes. I like the idea and am anxious to try them. I've found that ASOS works fairly well for no-see-ums and to a lesser degree for mosquitos. I like the fact that it is a relatively harmless chemical.

I worry about deet for my kids, although I have used it myself figuring I am a half baked old fart anyway. It sure works, but it makes me a bit nervous.

The best medicine is prevention, wearing lightweight waders and good clothing over the arms is a solid start. Applying bug spray only where needed is the best approach. I used to make my son wear a bug headnet over a baseball cap, got some chuckles from other fishermen until they had to run to the car slapping themselves silly. Still needed spray for the hands though.

If you target open coastal areas with a sea breeze there will be no bugs. A 5-10 mph salt breeze virtually eliminates biting insect issues.

Boy I sure do miss the pacific northwest! For some reason, there are no mosquitos (to speak of) in western Washington State's steelhead country.