Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Drift Fishing Correctly with Fly/Spin Rod: #2
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Re: Information

Randy describes the technique as the "ticking of weight" on the bottom. This is not dead-drifting a fly, this is drift fishing.

Dead drifting a fly is usually a fly fishing term applied to dry flies (e.g. "drag free") and is also used for wets and nymphs using line control to manage the drift and visual contact with the line to signal a strike, not tap-tap-tap of lead on the rocks, which is the definition of drift fishing.

In fact the most deadly approach to drift fishing can be observed in the pacific northwest using "drift rods" which are coupled with level-wind reels that allow the monofilament to slip under the thumb, extending the drift to 100 yards down the current if desired without flipping bail arms to feed or set the hook.

I have no problems with these approaches, I am just calling a spade a spade - these are drift fishing techniques, not traditional dead-drift flyfishing, in my humble opinion.

Side note:
Promotion of one's business is a privilege extended only to sponsors of this site. Since our existence depends on sponsors, it would be dishonorable to our real sponsors to allow promotion by non-sponsors.

Quote:
Originally posted by BearDenWoodshop
Randy, I think you have good info there. I thinkl everyone has a point. In fact a dead drift is not the easiest thing to accomplish and is consuidered a traditional tecnique. I have been fishing the great lakes for many years and I have seen the transition. Most of the time our waters are overcrowded with many lead chuckers. .... hopefully more posts like this will bring better info to those who need to respect the guy fishing next to them. I checked out your siye...great site.

Thanks --Keith B.
Bears Den Woodshop