Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Drift Fishing Correctly with Fly/Spin Rod: #2
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 07:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good points by all, but in the end drift fishing is drift fishing, and fly fishing is fly fishing and n'er the twain shall meet. For me, and this is a personal view, the pretense is in drift fishing with fly gear and calling it fly fishing.

I built this site to be different from the "flyfishing" sites that are not really that, and with all due respect let's stick to flyfishing here.

I agree that if a person chooses to use weight to get a deeper swing, propelling the cast with the force of a shock wave in the line verses the weight of the object on the end of the leader, using only artificial lure tied by someone's hand on a hook with materials commonly known as a "fly" - then it can be called flyfishing - but I also maintain (subjectively) that putting weight on a leader is cheating

The beauty of flyfishing is to overcome the temptation and become victorious by one's mastery of the technique. But then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.